Pages

Let's Go Fishing

It could just be the whisper of a breath, barely enough sound to part the air molecules, but I would hear it. It could be the middle of the night, I might be so soundly asleep a cannon shot could not wake me, but with the speaking of those words I would become instantly awake. And not just awake, but totally, functionally, vitally AWAKE. Now it must be said that it wasn't just anyone who could say this phrase. The power behind those words belonged solely to my father. I do believe that if I were to be awake for two weeks straight, exhausted from unending physical labor and then finally allowed to sleep, to this day, my father could say "Let's go fishing" and I would sit bolt upright, completely refreshed and raring to go.


 To say I loved fishing as a child is like saying plants love the sun. Fishing was the penultimate thing in my life and everything else paled in comparison. Even horseback riding which I desired like an addict to a drug was nothing compared to the lure of fishing. Every event, no matter how unlikely the possibility, would be examined for a fishing opportunity. A picnic, family outing, a wedding, or any other social event would always elicit the question "Can I go fishing?" from my earnest little mouth. That question was almost always answered with "No" but it did not deter me in the slightest.


 Woe be unto my parents if an outing actually did afford an unknown fishing opportunity. I can remember shamelessly begging to be allowed to fish at several events where there just happened to be a pond or stream or even a water-filled ditch. Once, when we were at some sort of company picnic it turned out there was not only this beautiful pond but also a pier out over the water which revealed numerous fish. I became unglued about 'needing to fish' and began to pester my parents in a way they could not ignore, this being a work-related social event, nor could they curb me with threats of punishment, this being a work-related social event. In desperation to silence my incessant moaning, my parents came up with a stick, a piece of string, and a paper clip for a hook. Instead of placating me that just served to infuriate me with its obvious inappropriateness. I can remember stalking off to sulk looking over that pristine and perfect pond. Every fish that was visible under that pier was like a knife through my heart.


 Yes, as a child I was obsessed with fishing. The best thing was that I was also very good at it. My guess is that when your mind is totally absorbed in something it will hone its skill to a razor's edge. I always caught a fish. Maybe not the biggest fish and maybe not the most fish, but I always caught a fish. Everyone else might be skunked without even a nibble but I would reel something in. Often times what I caught was not by any stretch of the imagination a keepable fish but catch something I would.


 So it is no wonder that my father's words could have such power over me. Once I recall my mother and sister recounting how they were trying to wake me up in the middle of the night to give me some medication. My mother believed if the medicine was to be given every four hours then it was four hours around the clock. She had given me a pill at my bedtime at 8pm and now at midnight, she was trying to wake me for another one. No such luck so she woke my sister to see if she could rouse me. They tried everything and then my sister had the bright idea to try the 'Let's go fishing' on me. My mom told me when my sister said the words I sort of twitched but didn't wake. Then she said the words and I turned to her with my eyes closed and bared my teeth at her. They made a wise decision and went to get my father. "Let's go fishing," he whispered and I was instantly awake. Of course, I was also instantly angry when it turned out we weren't going fishing.


 It has been many years since I have heard my father use the phrase but the thought of it is reassuring. I have wondered sometimes whether I should get a recording of him saying it. After all, if I ever fell into a coma or got bitten by a tsetse fly this would be the ultimate antidote.

No comments:

Post a Comment