Pages

Garden Scally-wags


The dreaded day has come.  I have spotted my first of the nemesis that befalls my poor garden each year.  The dreaded leaf-footed stink bug has made its first appearance on one of my tomato plants.

She was just sitting there, not obviously assaulting a tomato, but I know, oh yes indeed I know.  Just like I know that this was a 'she' and not a 'he'.  There be eggs laid by that there bug and soon, much sooner than I like to think I will be seeing this:


Baby leaf-footed stink bugs who will mount a viscous assault on my poor dear tomatoes.  Woe is me.  And worse yet, not matter how valiantly I fight they will in the end win because between them, the mosquitoes and the unrelenting heat and humidity that is summer here - I will simply give up.

But not today!

"Hold your ground, hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!"

So with Aragorn's monologue ringing in my brain I met this harbinger of doom.  Although  I was bare handed (and they don't call them stink bugs for nothing) I did what I had to do.  I gave that rascal a mighty thump with my index finger.  It was nearly twilight so I did not see if my blow had been a lethal one but fall she did that nasty pest.

Victory, however short lived is sweet.

3 comments:

  1. fair weather gardenerMay 25, 2012 at 6:12 AM

    Organic gardening on the gulf coast is like taking a knife to a gunfight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! So true. Between February and May you think - "Gee, organic gardening is a piece of cake. Why doesn't everyone do it?" Then about May 'they' show up and its like an outlaw motorcycle gang has crashed your frilly little tea party.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea these little orange monsters are baby stink bugs! I go to my small garden armed with a spray bottle with a mixture of Ivory dishwashing liquid and water. It works well on small bugs like these and/or fast bugs. A pair of scissors does the job on large bugs and catapillars. I try to only do battle with bad bugs but it is hard to tell the beneficial from the bad ones. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete